Saturday, January 05, 2008

Drumbeat 2008





Dick Larsen hosted Drumbeat in Seattle today. It is a smallish gathering held at a city community center on Seattle's Beacon Hill. The setting is intimate, and attracts historical only games. Dick's intention is to recreate the feeling of Camp Long many years ago. I'm not sure he succeeds, but I certainly admire his effort. We each kick in ten bucks each toward defraying the cost, but it doesn't cover the total expense. In many ways, it's his gift to the attendees, and I, for one am thankful for it.

There were two game periods, with what seemed like six games each period. I regret I didn't get more pictures of each of the games played, but I got wrapped up with what I was doing. There were some 25mm colonials, some great looking WAB Samurai and Mycenaeans, 25mm Napoleonics, Wings of War and DBA/Hott games.

I ran, or helped run a couple of games. I hauled out some of 1/600 Ironclads and ran a scenario I've run a few times. In 1865 a Confederate squadron is headed to Havana to put in for a final overhaul before beginning operations against the Union blockade. They damage from a storm and encounter a Union squadron sent to intercept them. The Union ships are all large wooden vessels, with good crews who have not been affected by the storm. The Confederate flotilla includes the ironclad ram Stonewall. It's a tough battle, and the game played well. According to the rules of the scenario, if any Union ship suffered 50% hull or flotation damage they would have to withdraw. In a game that saw some real ups and downs, the Confederates won, exiting three of their four ships from the table. The Union victory conditions included inflicting 50% hull and flotation damage on Stonewall. The Union fleet was banged up, but not grievously when, according to the scenario rules, the commander of the flotilla panicked and required a retirement of the Union ships.

I brought the hydroplanes and Daveshoe did most of the Thunderboats game. I spent most of my time talking with Darin Howard and Tom Biecker. We used to game together many years ago in the days of Fire and Steel Napoleonics. It was great to see them both. So much water has passed under the bridge since those days, it was hard to get caught up. Darin was interested in the ACW naval stuff, and I will make sure to get at least another game or so in before his busy season starts again in April. It was perhaps the highlight of my day.

I did sneak in to the last heat of the Thunderboat races and managed to finish. It looked like I was going to place second, but Dale Mickel passed me on the last turn of the game on a fabulous die roll. Good work.

As always, the games were fun. It was great to drag my ships out of their boxes. It was fun to race the hydros. It was wonderful to see the other games--Paul Hannah's Christmas Wars HOTT game looked reaalllly cool. However, the best part is seeing friends and spending time with them. I thank them for playing giving up their Saturday for my games.

1 comment:

DeanM said...

Kevin:

Nice pictures & commentary. Appreciate it, Dean