Friday, July 29, 2011

Dude-Update Your Blog!

I've been back from beautiful Bend for a couple of days.  It was a very enjoyable week with my parents, my sister and her husband, and of course my missus.  We stayed in the resort town of Sunriver, about ten miles south of town, but made our way in to Bend several times.  It's much larger than I remember it, about 90,000, and has some real attractions.  Brew houses galore, a wonderful town to bike around, and a very nice bookstore/game shop, Pegasus Books.  Sorry, board games only.

So, what's happening with those projects I set out at the beginning of summer?  The good news is, despite the 2001 Mariners detour I'm still painting Hallmark 15's.  I've painted four units, though only two of them are painted and flagged.  The British units really don't take that long to do.  No kilts means less work.  The bad news is I have enough figures to paint six more units.  That's more than seems to have served in Scotland during the entire rebellion.  I'm not quite sure what to do with the leftovers.  I'm thinking of painting a couple of units at the Battle of the Boyne.  I also have some cavalry and guns to paint-not loads of either.  I have the feeling that the Highlands was someplace cavalry was sent to die, or at least get off their horses.

The rules I'm using for this period is Bruce Bretthauer's King's War.  They seem pretty easy to play. Choosing rules for the Jacobite Rebellion is difficult.  I don't see any purpose-written rules sets for the Jacobite Rebellion general or the 1689 rising in particular. The Kings War rules at least don't treat the Highlanders the same as North American, South American and African aboriginals like DBR does. 

In any case, the project proceedeth.

2 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

Are you going to post any photos of the figures? I'd be interested in seeing the Hallmark figures painted up.
Ray

Kevin said...

Fair question Ray. Will try to get them up soon.