Monday, February 07, 2011

In My Dreams

Do you ever pass the time thinking about projects you'd love to do if you had unlimited abilities, time, money, and creativity?  I do, often in the car driving home from school.  I only drive about two and a half miles, so they're fleeting thoughts.  I gave some thought to cool movie scenes I'd like to do, so here is my list and commentary:

Khartoum-The Final Assault.  Khartoum with Charlton Heston and Lawrence Olivier is one of my favorite movies and I have fond memories of my parents taking me to see it in the theater.  It would be awesome to game the final assault with the city garrison diminished by starvation and dervishes everywhere.  It would be good.
One boom among many
 The Lighthorsemen-Desert assault on Beersheba.  This probably wouldn't game very well, but skazillions of Australian light horse charging entrenchments and into the city would be so cool.  It sure looked great in the movie.  Of course my itchin' to do this is complicated by the fact that my old VHS copy of the movie doesn't play on my DVD player and a region 1 DVD is simply not available-legally. Crap.

That this movie is unavailable in the States is an incredible injustice.

 April Morning-Retreat from Concord.  Yeah, this is an old hard to find Hallmark Hall of Fame movie based on the Howard Fast novel.  It's at least twenty five years old. It could be a great skirmish game or Brother against Brother game.  Concord is an important action at the beginning of the AWI, equally hazardous to both sides.  It could be an interesting game.
This 1988 movie has a great cast with Tommy Lee Jones, Robert Urich, Rip Torn, a young Chad Lowe, and Susan Blakely

Return of the King-Battle of the Pelennor Fields.  I actually don't much care for the movie version of this, but it's one of the three battles I've always wanted to do-Cowpens and Agincourt being the other two. Tolkien's description of the action is so interesting.  No army of the dead in book, but lots of Oliphaunts.  It's a 15mm game for sure with lots of Riders of Rohan, Orcs and men of Harad.
Eomer gets ready to ride to ruin.

Henry V (Branagh)-Battle of Agincourt.  I love this movie.  I love everything about this movie.  It's so much better than the Olivier movie.  I've sort of surrendered Agincourt to Chris Craft, and I'm more focused on Poitiers-someday.
Edward the Duke of York, the Earl of Suffolk, Sir Richard Kikely, Davy Gam Equire; None else of name; and of all othermen but five and twenty.  O God thy arm was near.

The Wind and Lion-Desert Fort.  I still love this movie too.  Candace Bergen, Sean Connery and Ken Kanaly trying to chop up the German nasties from the inside, while the Riffians attack the fort from the outside.  Come on, admit it you love the dueling artillery pieces too.  Sword and the Flame, it was made for Sword and the Flame.
President Roosevelt promised the Raisuli

The Natural--Knights vs. Pirates.  Little did you know I already have three painted Reviresco teams and two unpainted ones in my drawers of shame.  I love this movie, and the final scenes are so great. Don't know about scratch-building Knight's Field though. 

Saville Slugger's rain of destruction, courtesy of Roy Hobbs

The Patriot--Ha ha!! Fooled ya.  I hate this movie.  

Oh well, back to the cogs.

4 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

Great post, totally agree with you abot Khartoum and Henry V, both great films, as for day dreaming, I've bought painted and sold every period in history over the last 10 years,,just wish it were all true. The Patriot's a great film,(cough,cough) long live Mel!!

Neil said...

Here is a link to a "Wind and the Lion" game using the Sword and the Flame from the Warflag website:

http://www.warflag.com/shadow/windlion/windlion1.htm

David Sullivan said...

Surely you have enough HYW figures to do Agincourt! Haven't you already done Poitiers? I see an Enfilade! game in this...

Wasn't "Sand Pebbles" one of your dreams, too? You need to work farther from home so you have more time to think these projects through.

Kevin said...

"You need to work farther from home so you have more time to think these projects through."

But then I wouldn't have time to paint!!