Friday, June 27, 2008

Hundred Years War: Phase 3

It's been a while since I've done anything with my Hundred Years War stuff. When I began this blog in 2006 it was my chief interest and passion. I've spent the past couple of years working on the American Revolution (another era I am incredibly passionate about,) as well as working on my Martians and hydroplane racing.

I would love to say I'm just getting ready to add more stuff to my HYW armies--I have about 300 figures of French and English, all individually mounted. However, that's not the case. I'm going to keep my figures individually mounted and paint up figs for both sides to play Terry Gore's Medieval Warfare. I own them, I've looked at them (a bit, sort of) and determined that I can play another one of my favorite battles, Poitiers. Actually my HYW super duper favorite game is Agincourt, but nobody can play the French dumb enough to make it competitive. Poitiers is an interesting battle--a real slog. In any case, I have enough figures to do the English. The army should look like this:
24 stands of longbowmen--96 figures
12 stand of dismounted knights/men-at-arms--48 figures
12 stands of billmen/hobilars/lesser melee troops--48 figures
4 stands of mounted knights--8 figures
Prince Edward
Some other general figure of note

I finished the first longbowmen this morning, and should have at least another dozen and Prince Edward by the end of next week. Because it is a mid 14th century battle, the knights wear heraldic jupons, but I'm going to leaven them a bit with a fair number of men at arms wearing the Cross of St. George. All things being equal, this army should not take forever to paint, though it will take longer than this summer (duh!!) I'll keep working on hydroplanes as well because they are such an interesting distraction.

No comments: