Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Maxmillian on Horseback

I have a lot of figures for Maxmillian's adventures in Mexico. They are 25mm Wargames Foundry figures, back before the hated formation of Foundry. I love the figures; between the French and Mexicans, I probably have in the neighborhood of 300 infantry. I've used some ACW 25mm figures to cobble some guns together for both sides. The big problem, however, has been cavalry. Though they had them planned, WF never made any horse. The Mexicans had the ubiquitous volunteer lancers, as well as some fine regular cavalry. The French and Maxmillian's imperial forces had a lot of interesting and colorful horse as well.

Last summer I broke down and picked up three units of horse from the Houston's range of figures carried by London War Room. They are old, would not pass muster as state of the art, but were serviceable and cheap. This morning I finished painting the ten Austrian hussar figures that fought in Mexico. They're colorful, and will add to the gaming experience. I have one more Imperial unit, as well as a unit of Republican lancers. Together with the irregular Mexican cav unit I already have painted, that would give two units per side.

I'll try to finish the other two units some time this summer, but for now, I'm shifting gears a bit. I'm working on some HYW English. Starting with archers-who doesn't. I figure my Poitiers themed army for Medieval Warfare will require about 200 foot figures and about ten mounted. Don't know how long it will take to finish, but I will never know if I don't get started. Today I also started two more hydroplanes.

No comments: