Tuesday, June 03, 2008

A Twist on Thunderboats!

One obsession that's stayed me with for much of the last year is my interest in hydroplane racing. Daveshoe and I are discussing some slight changes and additions to the rules, including points for pit crews. Rules for pit crews could be important if I proceed with my next big idea--historical races.

Hydroplane racing in Seattle has a proud history, and wouldn't it be fun to do some historical races. Not only that, but it would help me direct my building and painting plans. I've taken a look at three Gold Cup races in Seattle-1959, 1962, and 1965. There is a great list of boats for each of these races. Some of them would be hard to obtain pictures for, but it would also give me something to do. For the time being, I'll start with the 1965 group, which has some fun boats. I don't quite know how I'll recreate the enormous Such Crust with its twin engines, but I'll think you just stick with the models I have. The boats for the 1965 Gold Cup race are:

Miss Exide
Miss Bardahl
Miss US 5
Mariner Too
Gale's Roostertail
Tahoe Miss
Miss Madison
Notre Dame
Miss Smirnoff
Miss Lapeer
Savair's Mist
Such Crust

No comments: